Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Stuhleck Ski Trip

On a whim last weekend Kevin and I rented a car and went skiing in Austria. A couple days before Stuhleck (www.stuhlech.at) opened our Professor told us that it was opening and that it was really close and not that expensive. So we found a place that rented us equipment for 7euro per person per day and we went. We actually got started to late on Saturday so we went on Sunday and Monday instead. It was actually cheaper to drive back to Bratislava Sunday night by at least 20 Euro so we did and got up early again to go on Monday. It was a blast even though only two runs were open.

It was Kevin's First time skiing and I ended up being his teacher. I think I did an alright job and he picked up on it pretty quickly especially since he was kind of forced down a blue square with really no previous skiing knowledge.

After going down a few runs we grabbed lunch and a beer and met up with Professor Magdolen and his son. And Prof. Magdolen also gave Kevin some pointers. We skied until the mountain closed and had a great time.

Kevin after he gained a bit more confidence on the skis.


Just testing the snow! There as dip that I didn't see and then all hell broke loose and my skis came off and I toppled over (right at the base of the lift).


See I'm not half bad.

A beer for warmth. MMM Rattlers are tasty!

Okay so this is Kevin and Prof Magdolen's son on one of the coolest lifts I have ever seen. It is a six seater with a wind cover that you can pull over. It's a normal chair lift but you can shelter your self while riding up with the awesome cover!

Prof. Magdolen and I on the same lift. Do I get an A for Skiing?

This picture is just awesome because it just looks so off.

So I wore 3 extra layers on bottom, thermal long jons, jeans and then outer pants. And I was relatively comfortable despite it being -15C (5F). But I thought it was great when I took my outer layer off the cuffs of my pants were frozen. I was also wearing 5 upper layers Thermal shirt, t shirt, sweater, shamie shirt and my big leather jacket. Now if they just insulated the ski boots....


I miss Tucson, but you really don't get this there!

The end of day 2 of great skiing!

I had a blast it's been a little while since I've been able to go Skiing and it was so nice to go again. In fact I might be going again on Friday and even better Prof Magdolen is going for sure and willing to drive us so I only have to worry about equipment rental and lift ticket WOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment